More from the Program Coordinator:
The LRRCN STI Program is a program designed to raise awareness of the growing problem of Sexually transmitted infections within Little Red, to reduce stigma associated with these infections and to encourage testing and treatment at local health centres.
Who we are:
The team includes CHRs, LPNs, and RNs. We also collaborate with Health Canada RNs (who provide testing and treatment).
What we do:
We provide free condoms in high traffic areas in all communities:
- Jars at Norther Store, 5th Meridians, Band Offices, Kayas Colleges, Gyms and Health Center Reception.
- If you notice a jar is near empty, please contact your local CHRs to come and fill them up.
We teach Sex Education to the High School Kids:
- In the fall with Compass Center for Sexual Wellness.
- In the spring with HIV North
- Have successfully advocated with the Director of Ed and Board of Ed to include sex education within the curriculum. This means grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 will be taught age appropriate information about their changing bodies, relationships, sex, pregnancy, sexually transmitted infection.